Thank you to the Denton ISD for hiring me to present one of the topics I offered at the last TCA School Counselors Conference in Galveston. And thank you, also, to my two interns, EJ Ijeoma Agada who is finishing her UNT degree in Wellness Promotion and my newest LPC Intern, Kelly King, for assisting me last Monday at the workshop.
I shared six strategies to help our young ones let go and grieve:
- Inform: Teach the Grief /Change Model
- Validate: List the Losses and Secondary Losses
- Listen: Emotional and Spiritual Companioning*
- Empower: Name Roles and Identity Changes
- Guide: Managing Anger and the Stress of Grief
- Mentor: Honoring the Loss
Call 214-636-5889 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more help with kids who are not ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) but are stuck in anger, unable to let go and move past their losses.
*For free Companioning instructions see the Virtues Project website: