Heather Carlile is currently in private practice as a counselor (since 1994). She uses Depth Psychology and Cognitive Behavioral treatment for individual, marital and family issues including depression, anxiety, grief, role diffusion, life transition, communication, compulsion, relationships and sexuality.
There are 60 of Heather’s one-hour mentoring videos at youtube.com/heathercarlile
Mental Health Practice
Ms. Carlile offers psycho-education to her clients and students including her study guides, model innovation and construction on: archetypes, emotional intelligence using the EQ Map, communication skills, three intelligences, marriage enrichment, gender differences, generational patterns using Spiral Dynamics, lifestyles using The Nine Healthy Lifestyle Habits from The Blue Zones, substance abuse, personality styles using The Enneagram, relationship problems and parenting techniques (many informed by The Search Institute and Practical Parent Education).
Certified Counselor Supervisor by North Texas State University in January 2001.
Licensed Professional Counselor with two-year internship in the private practice of John M. Talmadge, M.D. using cognitive, behavioral and transpersonal methods 1992-1993.
Director of the Creative Life Center 1992.
Founded and organized mental health services for a church including:
referral to mental health professionals, intakes, volunteer training, manage task teams to offer support groups and coordinate educational speakers and programs.
Training and Group Work
Designer Marriage Couples Communication. Four-week course for couples.
ReWriting Your FutureSM: Integrating Personality with Purpose and Mission. Creator and presentor. ReWriting Your Future eight-module year-long group intensive covering family-of-origin roles, personality style, values clarification, life purpose, scripting, goal setting, closing with the theory and practices of self-motivation, 1993 to the present.
Emotional Intelligence: Putting Quality in Your Life full day training for corporate clients. Includes the EQMap 20-scale measurement instrument and implementation study guide.
Grief Recovery, 6-week or 12-week series of classes including Ms. Carlile’s Grief Recovery Study Guide.
15-week series Using the Enneagram Personality Style Indicator for Psychological Growth and Relationship Enhancement.
Facilitating The Future is Now! retreats for various clients (including Hope’s Door, Collin County Battered Women’s Shelter).
Certified for Prepare/Enrich marriage enrichment and pre-marital assessment and seminar.
Six-week brief therapy group with focus on inner child.
Lecture and process group for 1.5 years using psycho-educational material on relationships.
Couples groups: Designer MarriageSM five-part class. 10 Great Dates Marriage Enrichment Group. Using the Enneagram for Marriage Enrichment six-part series, TIME for a Better Marriage ten-part marriage enrichment series.
Parenting Group training New Beginnings nine-part step-family and single parenting series.
Seminars and Presentations
The Enneagram Personality Types for the US Army Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Conferences from January 2011 to present.
Emotional Intelligence workshop at UNT Diversity Conference, Denton, TX 2012.
Relationship Skills and Lifestyle Mentoring via Live Q & A Weekly One-hour Broadcasts from the Red Room on the internet. February 2010 to February 2012 (see them on Heather’s You Tube Channel).
Keeping Our Teens On Track: What Really works Now at NARME (National Association for Relationship and Marriage Education) Conference, Baltimore, MD 2011
Emotional Intelligence for Mountain View College SPARK Program, Dallas, Texas 2010 and for the UNT Equity and Diversity conference, 2013.
Mental Agility Training for LPC and LMFT CEU credits. Dallas, Texas 2010.
What Really Works Now: Keeping Our Teens on Track. For LPC and LMFT CEU credits. Dallas, Texas 2009; NARME Conference, Baltimore, MD 2012.
2008 Foundations of Change Summit: Strategies for the Future, Texas Council on Family Violence; Facilitator of Youth Services Panel. Dallas, Texas 2008.
Fairy Tale Role Models: Exposing the Paradox of Childhood Myths for Brief Therapy and Marriage Counseling, Continuing Education for LPC and LMFT Credits, Dallas, Texas 2007.
Stress Management, Employees of the IRS, Dallas, Texas 2004.
Cutting Your Saboteur Down to Size; 4-part class, Dallas, Texas 2002.
Facilitate Jean Houston’s Life Force: Psycho-Historical Recovery of the Self, 8-wk group 2001.
Corporate seminars, contract instructor (clients such as: Anderson Consulting, AT&T, Chase Bank, Ericsson, Inc., GM, IBM, Johnson & Johnson, Nations Bank, Texas Commerce Bank) on topics such as: Emotional Intelligence, Secrets of Successful Thinkers, Managing Stress: The Road to Resiliency, Setting Limits and Delegating, Overcoming
Procrastination, Taking Care of Yourself During Times of Change, Managing Expectations, Attitudes and Guilt. 1994-2001.
University and College Metroplex Area Consortium Career Centers: Career Advancement, I’d Follow My Bliss if I Knew Where to Find It! seminar and talk 1998-2000.
New Directions Consulting Seminar: Management of Diversity in the Workplace 1998.
Stress Management, Human Resources employees of Texas Workforce Commission 1997.
Instruct Graduate Psychological Testing class at Amberton University on use of the Enneagram for personality style assessment 1998.
Break out session for Texas Marriage and Family Counselors Association Annual Conference: Daughters in Danger 1997.
Break out session for Texas Counseling Association Annual Conference: Avoiding Ethical Violations: Transference and Counter-transference; lecture for LPC ethics continuing education units, Avoiding Ethical Violations: A Timeline Approach 1996.
Other topics: Anger Management, Emotional Intelligence, Ethics, Mature Relationships, The Role of Women in Today’s Society.
Assist John Talmadge, M.D. with The Mastery Program: Intensive weekend workshop on self-mastery. Use the Enneagram personality style for personality typology 1992-1993.Heather L. Carlile
Publications and Media
Interviewed on 9 Fox News Radio Stations on gender difference in education 2012.
Interviewed and televised as topical expert by Channel 33 news in Dallas 2011-2012.
Interviewed and televised by NBC for The Today Show on marriage problems affecting health, Summer 2006.
Interviewed by and quoted in the Dallas Morning News, on Journaling, August 2005.
Interviewed and quoted on the Oxygen channel; Success in Marriage Counseling, August 2001.
Interviewed by and quoted in Dallas Morning News 6/22/01 in You’re Not Invited:
Although weddings are meant to unite family, more couples are leaving parents off the guest list by Karen Rangel.
Northern Metro Counseling Association newsletter publisher from 1993 to 1996.
Computer desktop publishing for Infopoint Systems, Inc. 1988 to 1992.
Editor of The Stelle Group Letter newsletter 1983 to 1986.
Certification Program, The Enneagram Institute, Atlanta, GA and Stone Bridge, NY 2013.
Quick REMAP Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Treatment with Steve Reed, LPC, LMSW, LMFT, Dallas, TX. 2012
Writing My Personal Myth with Dr. Patrick Slattery from Pacifica Institute, Dallas Institute of Culture and Humanities. Dallas 2010.
Training on Batterers: Comprehensive BIPP Training, The Family Place, Dallas, Texas 2009.
Family Violence, A Business Call to Action. Training the Trainer. New Beginning Center, Garland, Texas 2008.
Psych-K Training with Robert Williams, Breckenridge, CO 2007.
The Biology of Belief with Dr. Bruce Lipton, Breckenridge, CO 2007.
Anthony Robbins’ Date with Destiny, Palm Springs, CA 2006.
Ira Progoff’s Intensive Journal Workshop Facilitator Training, Seattle, Washington 2005.
Discovery Training: Tools for Successful Living, Dallas, Texas 2004, Training Assistant 2005, 2006.
Ira Progoff’s Intensive Journal Workshop, Dallas, Texas 2004.
Active Relationships Center, four workshops: Active Communication, Active Romance, Active Money Personalities, Active Living to Make Love Last, Dallas, Texas 2004.
PREP: Preventative Relationship Enhancement Program, Dallas, Texas 2004.
C.D. Honorary Cultural Doctorate in Humane Letters awarded by the World University Roundtable, Benson, Arizona 2002.
Multicultural Powers – A Call to Greatness, One Year Mystery School, Dr. Jean Houston 2002.
Institute in Counselor Supervision, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas 2001.
Spiral Dynamics I: A PsychoSocioPolitical Model, The National Values Center, Dallas, Texas 2000.
The Hogan Center for Performance Excellence: Leadership Skills for Executives 1999.
The Hogan Center for Performance Excellence: Quality Leadership & Implementation seminar 1998.
Certified for Prepare/Enrich marriage enrichment and pre-marital assessment 1996.
Certification as Ethics Trainer from the Josephson Institute and Character Counts! Coalition 1995.
Carlson Learning Company, Administering Coping & Stress Profile 1995.
M.A. in Counseling Psychology, Amberton University, Garland Texas 1993.
Group Therapy and Sensitivity Training from East Texas State University, Commerce, Texas 1990.
Creative Writing and Drawing classes from Richland College, Dallas, Texas 1989.
B.F.A. (by audition) in Drama from University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada 1972.
Board Member, Secretary, Voice Over for WRR 101.1 Radio Spots, Facebook Admin., Blogger and Graphic Design for Voices of Change: Music of Modern Composers, Dallas, Texas 2003-present.
Grief Recovery, Unity Church, Dallas, Texas 1999-2003.
Conversation Café Facilitator, Dallas, Texas 2003.
Plenary and Workshops for United Nations International Women’s Day, 2003.
Critical Incident Debriefing, YWCA Child Suicide, Dallas,Texas 2002.
Red Cross Disaster Services Facilitator, American Airlines Flight Attendant Debriefing, 9/11, 2001.
Facilitating The Future is Now! retreats for clients of Hope’s Door, Collin County Battered Women’s Shelter 1998 – 2001.
Teach pastoral care volunteers elements of Grief Recovery, Unity Church of Dallas 2000.
Coordinator of over fifty Presenters for the Women’s International Peace Conference 9/9/99 for Peacemakers, Inc. Dallas.
Psycho-educational presentations for Nexus Womens Recovery Center, Inc. 1997, 1998.
Certified for Mental Health Disaster Services by the Red Cross 1997.
Coordinate speakers for TMHCA conference on “Surviving Managed Care” 1996.
Assistant to United Way Coordinator of Dallas Coalition on Character and Values 1995.
Publications and decor for 1996 International Facilitators Association Convention.
Facilitate and teach educational/support group on relationship issues1990-1992.
Support group facilitator for families of victims of Alzheimer’s Disease1989-1991.
ACOA Annual Dallas/Ft. Worth Conference, 1994 opening and closing, volunteer counselor ‘93, ‘94.
Publish newsletter for the North Metro Counseling Association 1993 to 1996.
Edit newsletter and design brochures for the North Texas Speakers Association.
Assist with registration for the annual Texas Counseling Association convention.
Unity Church of Dallas: appointed to Education Committee 1995, counselor for
prayer 1995 to present, teach children 1989 to present, appointed to 1994 Long-term Planning Committee, record radio commercials and voice-overs for television spots.
The Fine Arts
Audio Tracks: author and narrator of scripts for guided imagery cassettes and CD’s (Inner Journeys) for psychological insight.
6-Part Audio series on Sacred Contracts and Archetypes 2003.
Literary: write newsletter articles, short stories and poetry.
Graphic Art: technical illustrator, drawing, line art, photography.
Fine Art: award winning watercolor and oil paintings in juried exhibits.
Performance: television/video and radio performance, voice-over, acting, Voice: mezzo to soprano, jazz ballads, musical theater.
I have three wonderfully-married Step Children and four Grandchildren: Donovan, Suzie, Rocky and Joshua!
Hobbies and Interests: Work and play with my husband, composer, Jack Waldenmaier, Argentine Tango with Jack, archetypes, painting watercolors, art, writing, desktop publishing, jazz, opera, water aerobics, international travel, creative gift-giving and photography. Health: 64 y.o. Excellent.
A bit of my story
- I grew up in the wilderness and somehow never quite felt that I belonged there. I was the oldest, then my sister and then my brother. I was a voracious reader…I was able to travel the world and cultures in books. My most memorable book from school days was “Sir Edmund Hillary’s Ascent of Everest.” I think it was part of being born to a pioneering farm family. And, I notice that I often make choices which keep me innovating, inventing and making stuff up.
- I felt I was born too late…I wanted to be Sarah Bernhardt or be in her Parisian salon or be in the group surrounding the Impressionists. But, I am now thrilled that our times and my life are even more exciting.
- My art teacher took my work to show to other schools and I never got it back. I returned to painting as a stress management method after grad school and discovered my ability with watercolors, graphics and art.
- I loved the sound of Loons calling across the early morning mirror-calm lake when we spent time in our tiny summer cabin. My reverence for Nature softens and expands me. I love walking on the beach. Feels like an indulgence to immerse in such private time. And as in childhood, our cats are an ever-present delight.
- I left the farm for the BFA Acting Conservatory in Edmonton – and it took me decades to adjust to city people, bus routes and traffic. Now, I’m a city girl in my bones and have deep roots in our Dallas home.
- I sang in the choir and two guys from high school, Gary and Brian, and I, formed a trio…they played guitar and I sang folk songs…our ultimate audience was the local Rotary Club.
- After my move to Dallas, I was the only female draftsman for an engineering company just before CadCam. I loved my drafting table and the quiet technical drawing that gave me an income. I really like technology and especially my Apple computers and iPhone.
- When I fell in love with Jack, I couldn’t stop writing poems to him.
- Even as an extrovert, I crave solitude because it’s a relief from my drive to be responsible, helpful and respectful to others. It has resulted in endless amounts of files on my computer so that I shall always be busy working on my next book, article or script.
- I entered the world of psychology at 40 years old, after four years of seeking a career which could keep gaining meaning on into my future. Two decades later, my work is even more meaningful than I could have dreamed. I continue to be impressed with the Enneagram Institute
- These days, in my ’60’s, I often notice that I am looking through ‘new’ eyes, seeing from a different viewpoint, almost as if I am another person; and I feel the experience of entering the Ruler/Magician stages on The Hero’s Journey. It’s interesting, curious and makes me wish I could have worn these ‘glasses’ decades ago. But, I am aware that my personal dreams have come true and that my future calls me to make a difference for more people. My private practice, presentations, the internet and my web presence opens doorways continuously.
- Life with my husband, Jack, our family and our friends continues to reveal ever more conversations, individual & mutual creativity, discoveries, beauty, fun and, ergo, more gratitude and more to love.