“…about half of all American adults—117 million individuals—have one or more preventable, chronic diseases, and about two-thirds of U.S. adults—nearly 155 million individuals—are overweight or obese.” from health.gov
OUR STORY: Heather and Jack Waldenmaier
My husband, Jack, and I watched the movie “Fed Up.” The information was so alarming and convincing that we made a decision to improve our health habits for a lifetime.
IT’S NOT WORKING: Most of us have known that the average lifestyle in our country is unhealthy yet, even though we make pretty good choices according to the best knowledge about diet, nutrition and exercise, it’s not successful. And, Jack and I were overweight.
BEST SOURCES: There are some professional researchers now freely available online who have established the missing pieces for people like Jack and me who genuinely want to live with a fit and fun daily life. This means no stringent fad diets and no recommendations based on a self-serving agenda. We want to know how to establish lifelong good habits. And, Jack has been curating the best and the bottom line. It is our pleasure to share our conclusions with anyone. What we have learned and have changed is already showing improvements for us. And, of course, we are open to improvements.
SUMMARY: Jack can share sources which detail the healthy and the unhealthy metabolic, chemical, hormonal, cellular and bodily behaviors. For the purposes of sharing, this little summary hits the high points. As a woman who is happy in her kitchen, I just want the practical knowledge. I want to shop for the good stuff and provide food we really like.
1. How the Metabolic Syndrome Functions and the Logical Weight Gain
2. The New Food Pyramid and the Healthy Oils
3. Insulin Resistance, Diabetes and the Root Cause from the Old Food Pyramid
The Noakes Foundation for Healthier Eating, Dr. Tim Noakes thenoakesfoundation.org/
Institute for Responsible Nutrition, Mission: To Reverse Childhood Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes. Dr. Robert Lustig responsiblefoods.org
MOVIES: Cereal Killers and Fed Up*
YOU TUBE VIDEOS:
1. Medical Aspects of the Low Carbohydrate Lifestyle by Dr. Tim Noakes, published on Sep 21, 2014
Timothy Noakes is a South African professor of exercise and sports science at the University of Cape Town. He has run over 70 marathons and ultramarathons and is author of several books on exercise and diet. youtube.com/watch?v=fL5-9ZxamXc
2. Scientific Plenary The Metabolic Syndrome: Can the Controversy Become Pathology’s Opportunity? CAP’13 (Especially informative starting at 16:00 min. with Dr. Winter) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTyH9YiVGlc
3. The Great Diet Controversy: UCT taught me to Challenge Beliefs. May 2013 by Professor Tim Noakes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0GSSSE4l8U
“Morbid Obesity is not a complex disease.”
- Obesity, Carbs and Sugar: You Tube: Robert Lustig, MD. Radio interview with Alec Baldwin on “Here’s the Thing.”
- “The Big Fat Surprise” book by Nina Teicholz 2014, Commonwealth Club, CA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CHGiid6N9Q 20 min. Published 3/7/14.
“We are at the beginning of a paradigm shift.” She argues that eating fat is essential to good health, and that the saturated fats, as found in meat, cheese, cream and eggs, are the whole fats in whole foods that are essential for good heath. ….She was an on-air reporter for NPR for five years, including two years based in Rio de Janeiro, covering South America. She was the associate director for the Center for Globalization and Sustainable Development at Columbia University.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQUnedwWHqk 1 hour
Oils: (not vegetable, seed nor grain oils) Avocado, Butter, Coconut, Grape Seed Oil, Olive Oil, Chicken or Duck Fat, Lard (Pork Fat), Tallow (Beef Fat).
**This has some components of recommendations from the Atkins Diet and the Paleo Diet.
***Autoimmune diseases are caused by wheat.
Curated by Jack Waldenmaier February 2015
Medical and Research Professionals:
- Peter Attia, MD. Nutritional Ketosis and Metabolic Syndrome.
- Thomas Dayspring, MD. Lipidologist. Dangers of Neo Lipogenesis.
- Sarah Gottlieb, MD. Researching Gynecologist.
- Tim Noakes, MD. Insulin Resistance.
- Mathieu Lalonde, PhD. Organic Chemist. Anti-Nutrients (lextens, Prolamines, etc.)
- Robert Lustig, MD. Pediatric Endocrinologist. Hidden Sugars.
- Gary Taubes. Science Journalist. Carbohydrates vs Fat: It’s not about calories, it’s about fuel.
- Nina Tieshcoltz, MD. Small Particle Cholesterol, Saturated Fat Myths, Neo Leipold Genesis.
- Mary Vernon, MD. Low Carb Explained.
- Jeff Volek, MD. Carbohydrate Addiction.
- Eric Westman, MD. Low Fat Diet Myth.
Watch the Best Sources of Research on You Tube
Preview YouTube video Dr. Peter Attia: Readdressing Dietary Guidelines
Dr. Peter Attia: Readdressing Dietary Guidelines
Preview YouTube video Peter Attia – An Advantaged Metabolic State: Human Performance, Resilience & Health
Peter Attia – An Advantaged Metabolic State: Human Performance, Resilience & Health
Preview YouTube video Lipids: Michael Andreula Interview With Lipidologist Dr. Thomas Dayspring
Lipids: Michael Andreula Interview With Lipidologist Dr. Thomas Dayspring
Preview YouTube video 13. SpecialtyHealth – FAT ONE: Milk, eggs and lamb chops; Thomas Dayspring, MD; Gary Taubes
13. SpecialtyHealth – FAT ONE: Milk, eggs and lamb chops; Thomas Dayspring, MD; Gary Taubes
Preview YouTube video An Organic Chemists Perspective on Paleo; by Mathieu Lalonde, PhD
An Organic Chemists Perspective on Paleo; by Mathieu Lalonde, PhD
Preview YouTube video Here’s The Thing Robert Lustig
Here’s The Thing Robert Lustig
Preview YouTube video Professor Tim Noakes on the topic: “The Great Diet Controversy: UCT taught me to Challenge Beliefs.”
Professor Tim Noakes on the topic: “The Great Diet Controversy: UCT taught me to Challenge Beliefs.”
Preview YouTube video Prof. Tim Noakes – ‘Medical aspects of the low carbohydrate lifestyle’
Prof. Tim Noakes – ‘Medical aspects of the low carbohydrate lifestyle’
Preview YouTube video Gary Taubes – Why We Get Fat: The Diet/Weight Relationship, An Alternative Hypothesis
Gary Taubes – Why We Get Fat: The Diet/Weight Relationship, An Alternative Hypothesis
Preview YouTube video Why We Get Fat: Diet Trends and Food Policy
Why We Get Fat: Diet Trends and Food Policy
Preview YouTube video Why We Get Fat – Gary Taubes at OSUMC
Why We Get Fat – Gary Taubes at OSUMC
Preview YouTube video Low Carb Explained
Preview YouTube video Jeff Volek: The Many Facets of Keto-Adaptation: Health, Performance, and Beyond
Jeff Volek: The Many Facets of Keto-Adaptation: Health, Performance, and Beyond
Preview YouTube video Debunking Low Carb Myths with Dr. Eric Westman
Debunking Low Carb Myths with Dr. Eric Westman
Spring 2015 Curated by Jack Waldenmaier
2015 is the year Jack and I will remember as when we became curators of how to get healthy.*
FED UP – Can Make it a Happy New Year
It all started when we watched the movie Fed Up a year ago. The information changed us permanently…for the better.
STOPPED SUGAR: We stopped sugar almost completely.
RESEARCH: Jack, as his friends all know, goes on “kicks.” He focuses-in on something he wants to learn about in depth. Years ago it was chess; then it was tennis; when I met him, it became Argentine Tango. Now, it’s nutrition and health. He has gone very few days over the year without studying the newest researchers on health worldwide. He has narrowed it down to twenty. Their messages are congruent. We have tried the new Low Carb High Fat way of eating. It works.
THE NEW NUTRITION: Buying groceries and cooking this way has worked so well for us that, now, some of our friends are trying it and getting wonderful results, too. So, I created these documents to share the best of the best. And, we do understand that this isn’t for everybody. There are lots of body types.
1. NUTRITION MAGAZINE: We created a little magazine to offer the basic concepts, 11 pages: Low Carb High Fat Nutrition, Myths, Sugar: Health Risk, Healthy Fats, Cereal Killers, Metabolic Syndrome, Inflammation, New LCHF Pyramid, Micro-Nutrients, Groceries, References, Our Story.
Right-Click to Download:
2. RECIPES: Simple LCHF Recipes from Heather’s Kitchen.
Right-Click to Download:
3. SOURCES: The Twenty Newest International Researchers – 17-pages of references on 20 doctors, researchers and scientists.
Right-Click to Download:
4. FOOD PYRAMID: The New Food Pyramid to print for you, your family and friends.
Right-Click to Download:
SPREAD THE NEWS: If you decide to try this and get some results, please let us know and share it with your loved-ones, too. It’s our gift to you.
Jack and I are happy to answer any questions you have.
*All content on this website is for informational purposes only.
No claim of suitability for the treatment of any health condition is intended.